Editor’s note: This story is being highlighted in ASU Now’s year in review. Read more top stories from 2019.
Five Arizona State University professors are being honored with the highest faculty award possible: Regents Professor.
The five are internationally recognized experts at the top of their fields, and on Thursday, they joined an elite rank when their nominations were approved by the Arizona Board of Regents.
“The 2019 Regents’ Professors are pioneers in ecology, engineering, judicial decision making, business and social evolution,” said Mark Searle, executive vice president and university provost at ASU. “Their scholarship contributes to the better understanding of our world, environment and each other. The entire ASU community celebrates their great achievement.”
The new Regents Professors are:
• Blake Ashforth, an expert on organizational behavior who holds the Horace Steele Heritage Chair in the Management and Entrepreneurship Department of the W. P. Carey School of Business.
• Nancy Grimm, who holds the Virginia M. Ullman Chair in Ecology in the School of Life Sciences.
• Joan Silk, a world-renowned primatologist in the School of Human Evolution and Social Change.
• Cassia Spohn, a Foundation Professor and director of the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice.
• Vijay Vittal, Ira A. Fulton Chair Professor and ASU Foundation Professor in electric power systems in the School of Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering.