Research Expertise: Power and energy systems, energy modeling and smart grids, wide-area monitoring, protection and control
Anamitra Pal joined the ASU faculty as an assistant professor in August 2016. He received his Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, India, in 2008, and his M.S. and Ph. D. Degrees in Electrical Engineering from Virginia Tech, in 2012 and 2014, respectively. From 2014 to 2016, he worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the Network Dynamics & Simulation Science Laboratory of the Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech.
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2014
M.S., Electrical Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2012
B.E., Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, India, 2008
Applied Electrical and Computer Scientist, Network Dynamics & Simulation Science Laboratory (NDSSL), Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech, July 2014 – Present
Summer Intern, Electric Power Group, LLC, Pasadena, California, May 2013 – August 2013; May 2012 – August 2012
Manager, Tata Steel Ltd., Jamshedpur, India, July 2008 – July 2010
- Pal, A. K. S. Vullikanti, and S. S. Ravi, “A PMU placement scheme considering realistic costs and modern trends in relaying,” accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- Pal, P. Chatterjee, J. S. Thorp, and V. A. Centeno, “On-line calibration of voltage transformers using synchrophasor measurements,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 370-380, Feb. 2016.
- Wang, A. Pal, J. S. Thorp, Z. Wang, J. Liu, and Y. Yang, “Multi-polytope based adaptive robust damping control in power systems using CART,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 2063-2072, Jul. 2015.
- D. Jones, A. Pal, and J. S. Thorp, “Methodology for performing synchrophasor data conditioning and validation,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 1121-1130, May 2015.
- Pal, M. Youssef, V. S. Anil Kumar, A. Marathe, S. Eubank, M. Marathe, C. Barrett, J. Thorp, A. Phadke, and V. Centeno, “Role of power system relays in a large scale physical attack,” in Proc. 6th Int. Conf. Liberalization & Modernization of Power Systems and CRIS Problems of Critical Infrastructures, St. Petersburg, Russia, pp. 1-5, 25-27 Jun. 2015.
- Mishra, A. Pal, and V. A. Centeno, “Kalman-filter based recursive regression for three-phase line parameter estimation using phasor measurements,” in Proc. IEEE Power Eng. Soc. General Meeting, Denver, CO, pp. 1-5, 26-30 Jul. 2015.
- Pal, “Effect of different load models on the three-sample based quadratic prediction algorithm,” in Proc. IEEE Power Eng. Soc. Conf. Innovative Smart Grid Technol., Washington D.C, pp. 1-5, 18-20 Feb. 2015.
- Pal, G. A. Sanchez, V. A. Centeno, and J. S. Thorp, “A PMU placement scheme ensuring real-time monitoring of critical buses of the network,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 510-517, Apr. 2014.
- Li, A. Pal, A. G. Phadke, and J. S. Thorp, “Transient stability prediction based on apparent impedance trajectory recorded by PMUs,” Int. J. Elect. Power Energy Syst., vol. 54, pp. 498-504, Jan. 2014.
- Pal, J. S. Thorp, T. Khan, and S. S. Young, “Classification trees for complex synchrophasor data,” Elect. Power Compon. Syst., vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 1381-1396, Sep. 2013.
- Pal, J. S. Thorp, S. S. Veda, and V. A. Centeno, “Applying a robust control technique to damp low frequency oscillations in the WECC,” Int. J. Elect. Power Energy Syst., vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 638-645, Jan. 2013.